Addiction is a disease millions of people in American and even abroad struggle with. Although addiction is a treatable disorder, it is not incurable. Tracking addiction and addiction-recovery are often attempted in our society, however, addiction is very challenging to discover the actual number of people who start and maintain recovery. The statistics on the success rate from addiction is not very clear with regards to these statistics.
WHAT DO THE FACTS AND FIGURE STATE?
- According to a study in 2017, 19.7 million American adults are involved in substance use, almost 74% suffering from alcohol abuse.
- 38% of adults in the USA are involved in the use of illicit drugs.
- 1 out of 8 adults suffers from simultaneous use of alcohol and drugs.
- 5 million Americans have substance use disorder and mental health disorder.
- Statistics indicate American society faces a loss of $740 billion in different sectors due to addiction.
- 1 in 10 Americans report resolving their substance use.
CAUSES OF ADDICTION
- Reportedly, 40% to 60% of the cases of addiction is because of genetics. An individual’s environment and genetic factors are probable causes.
- Surrounding factors are also causes of addiction. Surrounding factors include a stressful home environment, the use of drugs by parents and influence from friends is another causative agent.
- Age, mental and health disorders are other risk factors that contribute to addiction. According to statistics, 1 in 25 teenagers is addicted to some type of substance. Moreover, mental health is another primary reason for addiction and almost one in five Americans suffer from mental health disorders, which accounts for 18% of adults.
REASONS BEHIND SUCCESSFUL EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR ADDICTION
The rate of relapse among patients undergoing rehab treatment is relatively high in America, around 40% to 60%. Because of such high rates, it is essential to establish effective treatment plans for addiction. Certain traits for effective treatment include;
- The best effective treatment is a combination of medication and behavioural therapy, which includes a group or one on one counselling.
- 12 Step Programs ( AA, NA, CA)
- The therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel.
- Patients who are only going through detoxification usually suffer from relapse at a much higher rate. It is the reason a combination of different therapeutic strategies is more effective.
- Identifying triggers for relapse are also an essential factor when considering treatment strategies. The therapist must be well aware of the cues that put the patient in stress. Utilization of the latest therapies to intervene with these triggers helps prevents relapse.
The statistics on addiction and the recovery rates indicate that addiction is in fact a highly treatable disorder, however, not very easy. Initiation and awareness towards rehab is the starting point to recovery. There are millions of people who have successfully remained free from active addiction with 12 Step programs and therapy.
Sadly, there are also 16 million individuals that do not consider addiction as a problem. Hence, they do not seek help regarding it as well. But these individuals are at constant risk of severe consequences for their life.
For more information on helping a loved one break free from addiction, order Free Yourself From Yourself today. Click here